What if you had a 78-page guide in your purse that could answer every question related to newborn health before you decide to call the doctor?
We can tell you where to get it!
Meet Bekah Shephard, author of A Nurse in your Purse
Intro: Bekah is not only an RN who can pull from her many years of experience there, but she’s also a mom, so she gets it that it’s normal for moms to second guess themselves and want to make sure they’re “doing the right thing” - from wondering if her newborn is getting enough breastmilk to is this fever important enough to call the doctor?
In this video, Renee talks with Bekah about baby skin and health issues.
Key websites discussed in the interview:
- Where to find the book and more from Bekah: https://bekahshephard.com/
- Bekah is speaking at this upcoming summit: https://www.balancedmommas.com/new-mom-summit
Watch our conversation here (scroll down for key points we discussed)
Notes on the Interview
- Bekah was a pediatric nurse who wanted to create this book for moms who had questions for their doctor, left messages on the nurse hotline, but needed to wait till the doc came in in the morning (sometimes through the weekend) before getting an answer.
- The book offers plenty of practical advice that you need in the middle of the night to determine if it’s normal or is an emergency.
- Most commonly asked questions are about baby poop! Breastfed & formula-fed poop is different. You should be looking for drastic changes. Breastfed babies can poop every day or poop once every 5-7 days! Formula babies go daily, and it’s stinkier than breastfed baby poop.
- It's ok to call the nurse if you have a question - Bekah encourages mom to do this rather than wait and wonder.
- Diaper rash goes from mild to severe. Prevent it by changing poopy diapers asap. Can use Simply Soothing preventatively. Zinc oxide repairs the skin.
- Starting first foods can cause a diaper rash flare but it doesn't mean the baby is allergic to the new food.
- When starting a new food, give a single ingredient for 3 days before introducing another food.
- Magic butt cream for severe rash.
- For cradle cap, use a soft surgical brush with rubbery bristles. Use unscented shampoo, rub in a circular motion. In between washes use BeeSilk Jr. Do NOT PICK scabs. If it’s not getting better go to the doc.
- Baby acne, don’t do anything. It will resolve on its own if not infected. Can clean with diluted ACV.
- Gut dysbiosis can be the root cause of eczema. It's definitely worth checking into.
Interact with Bekah on our Facebook page here.