Are you making some changes and resolutions in 2024?
Hang on – I don’t want to overwhelm you. In fact, I’m going to give you some tips I’ve learned from 10+ years of active goal planning.
Here, I’ll apply it to skin care.
1. Create ONE game-changer for your dry skin or other skin issue.
Think of one skin care change you want to make for 2024 that would really make a positive impact on you or your family.
If you need to conquer your 9 year old’s eczema, make that one goal your game-changer.
If you want to come up with a quick and easy skin care routine that makes you feel like your skin feels smooth year-round, make that your game-changer.
If you want to make food changes part of your plan this year to make your skin healthy, make that your game-changer.
2. Find the expert(s).
Looking at the examples I list above, I would recommend seeking out someone who has the information you need to create the plan you want.
- If your game-changer is your 9 year old’s eczema, find someone who has worked through it. Many bloggers have found success with diet or environmental changes and have blogged about it. Or, seek out the expertise of someone like Rebecca Bonneteau N.D., who has a membership for people like you who are walking this difficult path. Find her here: https://www.eczemaexpert.co.uk/membership
- If you’re looking for a skin care routine that replaces water-based skin care (that can aggravate the skin) with oil/butter/wax based skin care that turns your dry skin into smooth, watch our expert talk all about the ingredients and why they work so well. Find it here: https://store.hardlotion.com/blogs/expert-talks/why-the-lotion-bar-ingredients-work-so-well-for-dry-cracked-skin
- If you're making food changes something to focus on this year, go watch our own Kerry Chamberlain give you tips to making small shifts in order to make big changes: https://store.hardlotion.com/blogs/expert-talks/functional-medicine-approach-to-new-years-resolutions
3. Choose ONE action plan for the month of January to resolve your skin issue.
This is what many fitness trainers tell you and it's a good idea. It takes the stress off trying to do the “lose 15 lbs by the summer” routine. Choose ONE thing this month and make that your focus. Here are more examples:
- Eczema: the most common triggers are dairy, gluten and eggs. Maybe talk to an expert to decide which of those 3 you should start eliminating?
- Skin Care Routine: you probably already know that we've got you covered (literally!) with a number of skin care products, but start small if you need to: change from liquid lotion to Beesilk, swap out your Chapstick for our natural lip balm. Get rid of your Desitin or other zinc based cream in favor of our waterless Simply Soothing Rash Cream.
- Food changes: Toss the junk. Seriously. I literally poured 3 bottles of soda down the drain after they were given to us at a party. A waste? Not really, although if I could have used them to water my plants, I would have :) When it comes to my family's health, I'd rather waste $5 now to save hundreds later.
4. Create a “not to-do list” and make sure that any distractions are listed there.
You have to make your above actions EASY to do. Get rid of the activities, the stress triggers, even cut back on time with the people who may sabotage your goals. And then, when you want to wind down tonight and the habit is to scroll through Facebook, jot down your tomorrow’s to-do list instead. Start your game-changing goals tonight.